Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Nature Journaling

"Your goal in nature study is much more than just to 'inform' your children about the details of creation. Your greater task is to 'form in' them eyes that can see the Creator in his creation (Romans 1:20), an abiding sense of wonder and appreciation of what God has made (Psalm 8 and 19) and a passion to care for, subdue and rule over this earth as God's highest expression of created being (Genesis 1:28)." -Sally and Clay Clarkson, Educating the WholeHearted Child

I have been making my children do nature journaling for about a year now and it is something I love and think is so wonderful for children, but I never realized it could be wonderful for me too. In the past I have used the time while they are drawing to hurry up and do a chore or prepare for the next lesson, because they were quietly occupied. But lately I have been trying to really implement the tomato staking idea in our house, of staying together in all that we do- cleaning, schooling, playing etc. I have a regular journal that I keep, so I decided I could keep nature drawings in it as well...that way I can teach by example and not just with words. It was a glorious fall day and I gave my children the task of drawing a picture of fall. I left that up to their own interpretation. They drew acorns, inside and out- they drew trees changing color, and squirrels busy at work. I chose to draw a leaf that really stood out to me and then Elijah decided he wanted to draw the leaf as well. It has been a long time since I have drawn anything and it was such a good feeling to be outside sitting in the warm, fall sunshine with my children drawing a leaf. It might not be the best leaf drawing in the world, but it inspired me and I think it inspired them a little bit to see mom working along side them. It is good for the soul to take time to be still, to look around and notice the details of God's marvelous creation. Much better than running off to wash a few dishes:)



No comments: