Wednesday, May 28, 2008

An unexpected affirmation

For the past week I have felt very strongly that I needed to read Psalm 37. So I have been reading it over and over again each day wondering what it is that God wants me to hear. Well, today a very funny thing happened. In the middle of lunch (a very crazy time at my house) a lady called and asked for Mrs. Cox? I told her that we lived in a rental home and that was the name of one of the previous tenants (I only know this because we still get her mail sometimes). And she said, well may I speak with you? I was thinking- ok what is this lady going to try and sell me? But instead she said "I am calling today to encourage you to read your bible and I want to read you some verses out of Psalm 37"! I was very excited and I told her I had been reading Psalm 37 all week. These are the verses she wanted to share with me:

"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; Do not fret, it leads only to evildoing, for evildoers will be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord, they will inherit the land. Yet a little while and the wicked man will be no more. And you will look carefully for his place, and he will not be there. But the humble will inherit the land, and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity" Psalm 37:7-11

Even after she read that I was waiting for her to ask me to make a donation of some kind, but she never did. I never even caught her name. She just said she wanted to encourage me to continue reading my bible daily. I guess I know now what God wanted me to hear. The Father works in very interesting ways sometimes.

This is just an additional part of the Psalm that I love:
"The steps of man are established by the Lord; And He delights in his way. When he falls, he shall not be hurled headlong; Because the Lord is the One who holds his hand. I have been young, and now I am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Or his descendants begging bread. All day long he is gracious and lends; and his descendants are a blessing." Psalm 37:23-26

No comments: