Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension

Life can be so very hectic at times. Some days it feels like I can hardly keep my head above the water...treading through the hours, minutes, gasping for air, for rest, for calm.
Last night as I was praying and pouring myself out before the Father I heard Him speak to me. It is not very often that I feel God speaking to me so strongly and He said clear as day "My peace surpasses all understanding". Be still. Hear the Words. I open my heart and bible to Philippians.
Chapter 4:4-9 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!

Let your gentle spirit be known to all men, The Lord is near.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication
thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever
is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of
good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
dwell on these things.

The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me,
practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

The peace of God is beyond our comprehension. It is not something that I can attain through more lists, more planning, more schedules. I sometimes think that if I can organize our lives enough then we will have peace. I just need to plan more activities so that the kids won't have time to argue with each other. I need to stick to our sleeping and eating schedule so they won't be so whiney. Peace is also not something I can find in a walk alone around the neighborhood or on a beach retreat or in a quiet nook in the library (though those things do provide temporary relief)...but the kind of peace that is beyond our comprehension comes only through the Father, our eternal King of Peace.
The word dwell really fell heavy on my heart. Dwell. Part of the definition is to fasten one's attention on or upon someone or something and to think or speak about something for a long time. I began to think about how much of my days and my life I spend dwelling on the negative things...how messy the house is, how I keep getting interrupted when I am trying to homeschool, how I need to lose weight, how we need to pay off debt and the list goes on. Dwelling on those things bring worry, anxiety, frustration etc. As I rolled the words over and over in my head the word dwell really started sinking in. The things that God tells us to dwell upon aren't just nice things to read about. He wants us to inhabit these words, to live them, to fasten our attention upon them and do not look away. He spells it out very clearly what we should dwell upon. His word assures us that when we dwell on these good things and practice them that His peace will be with us and that His peace will guard our hearts and minds.
I pray that in the moments and days to come when I might find myself gasping for air once again that I would turn toward the Father and fix the eyes of my heart upon Him, who says "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" Matt. 11:28-29
"Thus says the Lord, 'Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls" Jeremiah 6:16

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These words rang true in my own heart today. Thank you for sharing. My name is Amanda & I've been encouraged by your words lately- I'm an ole' college frind of Anna's. I'm learning about lectio divina & centering prayer these days & those Celtic ways- the way you allowed that word dwell to sink into your heart was beautiful. Blessings upon you & your journey, Amanda

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

it's relieving just to hear all this. I often put the same perspective of list-making/life-planning etc. on my life & find I'm the happiest & most at peace when those lists are not at the fore-front. thanks for sharing...i will try to "incourage" you in person when I see you next ;)
(oh & thanks for a really fun day!)