Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Head, Thorax, Abdomen



With all the boys in this household you can imagine that insects are most definitely a subject of great interest around here. Caleb is especially turning into quite the bug collector. He brings me one almost everyday and my only requirement is that they are dead:) and that their bodies are fully intact. It is really easy to start a bug collection. Just get a cardboard box with a top and cut a piece of styrofoam to fit inside and pin their wings or legs in place. I decided I would teach the little guys about parts of an insect so we built play-doh ants and I was telling them about the head, thorax and abdomen. Caleb looked very confused and said "head, Lorax, ottoman" and I said "not exactly"...but kind of:) He thinks it is real funny to have "old man ears"!



Elijah did a nature journal entry on his favorite find so far- our grasshopper.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Hey Matt, Kallie, and kids,

Love the little insects the kids put together and your ideas for collecting and journaling about insects.
Daniel