Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A note of encouragement

Have you ever had days where you feel like you are having to discipline your children all day? I was having one of those days recently and I picked up Season's Of A Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson (whom I turn to when I need mom to mom encouragement). I opened up the book only to stumble across these words:

"It is so easy for me, as a parent, to become overly concerned with every jot and tittle of my children's behavior. I can spend so much time correcting them and teaching them all the right rules, that I forget the real goal of my instruction- to win their hearts for the Lord. Training and instruction alone cannot guarantee a heart for God. If you really desire to reach your children's hearts for Christ, you cannot do so until you build a deep and trusting relationship with each child. They must feel that they can find no better confidant, no more loyal friend, no greater encourager, no one who better understands their thoughts and dreams, fears and doubts, joys and hurts. And even though they understand that you want to help them grow to maturity in Christ, they must also sense that you accept them just as they are, and love them no matter what they do."

Then I was flipping back looking through other chapters in the book looking at passages that I had underlined and these words jumped out at me:

"It's not enough for my children just to hear me talk to them about loving God and loving people, they also must see me doing it. God will be real to them only if He is real to me... children imitate and become what they see in their parents. In the same way, my children will not grow to maturity because I have taught them the right things, read them the best books, or used the right curriculum. They will mature because I have shaped their hearts to love God and to love people."

Sally always has a way of speaking directly to my heart and giving me gentle reminders of the real goal and purpose of motherhood, which is to turn the hearts of my children to God and to be a living example for them, so they can be a living example for their children and grandchildren and great grandchildren... a multi-generational vision, so to speak.

For more encouragement from Sally Clarkson, I strongly suggest visiting her website here or purchasing one of her many books (I recommend all of them!) or try to attend a Mom Heart Conference- it will be an inspiring and edifying weekend with other lovely mothers and worth every single penny:)

3 comments:

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

this was important for me to read! thanks for sharing. I often feel as though I'm pointing out all the misbehaviors constantly!! I think what she said is right, there are bigger things to worry about and I should spend more time on that.

Becca said...

WOW! that was so encouraging. thank you for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, friend. I have had many many many days when I feel like I am putting out fires all day and I am tired of hearing my own voice.

Keep shining.