Saturday, January 16, 2010

Like a tree planted by the water



More on my study of the characteristics of a meek and quiet spirit...

The meek woman's confidence is in the security of the truths of scripture and the faithfulness of God, but the fretful woman's trust is in her own abilities and power to control others and details.

"Thus says the Lord, cursed is the man who trusts in mankind and makes flesh his strength, and whose heart turns away from the Lord. For he will be like a bush in the desert and will not see when prosperity comes, but will live in stony wastes in the wilderness, a land of salt without inhabitant. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is the Lord. For he will be like a tree planted by the water, that extends its roots by a stream and will not fear when the heat comes; but its leaves will be green, and it will not be anxious in a year of drought nor cease to yield fruit."
- Jeremiah 17: 5-8

I know I have written on this subject quite a bit, but it is only because this is an area in which I obviously struggle. I am learning to trust God and not rely on my own strength, but sometimes I forget. Isn't it silly or even absurd to put confidence in our own flesh and to even think that in our own strength we can accomplish anything fruitful? When we attempt to take control over our lives aren't we essentially telling God that we don't need Him, that we are wiser, stronger, smarter than Him??? Does that even make any sense? Not really, but there are still times when I put my ways before God's ways. I continue to pray that my confidence in Him would increase, that I would find peace in the truths and promises of His word, and that He will be my trust.

"How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers." - Psalm 1:1-3

2 comments:

Nana said...

Great reminder! Living according to God's timetable and promises bring true contentment. We see so little of it today. It can be a real example to people around us when we display that contentment and peace that only God can give.

torahmama said...

The meek woman's confidence is in the security of the truths of scripture and the faithfulness of God, but the fretful woman's trust is in her own abilities and power to control others and details.-----I need to print this and put it on my wall!!!!
Thanks for sharing! You always inspire me in the right ways!