Friday, April 4, 2008

A glimpse inside the Vaughn kitchen






My friend Anna went grocery shopping the other day and posted some of the food items that she buys for her family. She was interested in knowing what other people were eating, so I thought I would give a glimpse into our kitchen. We love ethnic food- mexican, thai and indian are our very favorites. Mostly we eat these ethnic foods because they are healthy yet inexpensive. I included my tribute to Goya! When we were on a tighter budget you would have thought we were mexican. Our weekly menu would look like this: fajitas, tacos, burritoes, tostadas, enchiladas, quesadillas etc. Ha. We love food with spice. My absolute favorite spice in the world is curry. I love the way it fills our house with such a delicious aroma. We also eat a ton of rice, cous-cous, lentils etc. There's so much you can do with those three items. I always buy a ton of produce, but it never lasts an entire week at our house. My kids devour fruit and veggies. Elijah is going to turn orange from eating so many carrots and Caleb's favorite veggies are orange and red peppers. They are major fruitaholics and I have a really hard time keeping enough fruit in the house. I try to mostly buy the produce that is in season locally, but every now and then I will splurge and buy some grapes or strawberries- but they are so expensive and they will literally be gone in 2 days- so that is a rare treat. Strawberry season will be here soon and I know that I will be able to buy a bucket full for the same price I can get a small package at the grocery store, so I will just wait. I am really looking forward to our garden this summer and the fabulous farmers market. My 2 favorite things about warm weather are picking fresh strawberries that melt in my mouth and making garden fresh tomato sandwiches. Yum. I am also determined to join a CSA (community supported ag.) this year. There are several CSA's in Greensboro and I just need to pick one to join. Another goal of mine this year is to try and figure out how to buy and store food in bulk. I think we could save a lot of money that way, but if any of you have any tips for keeping and storing bulk items I would love some feedback, because we don't have a lot of storage space in our house. One thing I have yet to figure out is our food budget. Every week I go over our budget, yet at the end of every week our cupboards are empty. My kids eat constantly- all day long. Sometimes I feel like they just need feeding tubes! I know they are just growing boys...and I know I say this all the time...our dream and goal is to one day own enough land to have a small family farm, but I am starting to think it will be a necessity to keep up with their growing appetites!

No comments: