Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Strawberry Picking






I love the month of May because it means it is strawberry picking time. Hail damaged many of the strawberries last year, but this year was amazing. The strawberries were beautiful and abundant. Both times I went to pick the weather was amazing- sunny, but not hot and the late afternoon breezes filled the air with the sweet aroma of ripe berries. The kids absolutely love picking berries, of course they eat more than they pick and the evidence is all over their faces! Then it is home for strawberry shortcakes and whipped cream, which is a strawberry picking tradition. I picked several gallons each time I went, but with all these hungry boys I didn't have enough left over to make jam. I haven't quite figured out how much I need to pick to make a few jars of jam and feed the boys, but it's probably at least double what I picked this year! At least I managed to freeze a few gallons for smoothies.

No comments: