Thursday, January 6, 2011

Time flies when your having fun


(double click on the slide for a larger view)

Why is it that normal daily life weekdays go by so slow and vacation days and weekends seem to go by so fast?
I am not complaining...just making an observation. I guess time flies when you're having fun:)
We love our time with Matt. He makes life easier and more fun. We smile and laugh more when he's around. He is always lending me a helping hand and we just love spending time with him...so it is always sad when reality sets back in and he drives away to work in the morning- the kids all lined up at the window, waving...but I don't want to talk about the sad. I want to share about the wonderful vacation we had to see my parents in the mountains. Like I always say, my heart kind of gives a sigh of relief when I get my first glimpse of the mountains. It is where I was born and raised and so in many ways it still feels like home to me. This time heading to the mountains was an adventure. We drove in a snow storm. The roads were covered and there were several wrecks along the way. We have 4WD but the roads weren't clear at all, so we were very thankful to make it there safely. The kids were beyond excited. They wanted to play in the snow as soon as we got out of the car. We played long and hard-my mom even went sledding! I guess you're never too old to play in the snow (not that you are that old, mom!)
While we were at my parent's house Ezra turned 2! He is such a funny little man. He had our traditional birthday smiley face pancakes and my dad made him a very special double decker chocolate cake! My dad is turning into Mr. Betty Crocker now that he's retired:) (I mean that in a good way). The Z-man got an assortment of trucks, which is what he is really into right now. But mostly he just loved the balloons and getting to blow out the candles... which he has been practicing it for months with his play-doh.
One day we went to the Grove Park Inn to see the gingerbread competition. The things that people can make out of gingerbread and candy simply blows my mind. If you are ever up in Asheville between Thanksgiving and New Year's you should check it out- it is free to the public and is really amazing. Plus The Grove Park in is a great place to hang out. You can go there and sit in front of the giant fireplace, have lunch or a cup of coffee and just enjoy the amazing view of Asheville...and if you have lots of money you can spend the night:) After that we headed over to this delightful little piece of deliciousness. Then we had dinner at our very favorite mexican restaurant EVER. If you are ever in Hendersonville, NC you must eat here (not the one in Asheville or Arden).
We don't have TV, but occasionally we let the kids see a movie in the theater and this is very special for them. My dad and Matt took the older boys to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader. We have read all of the Chronicles of Narnia books so they were really excited about seeing this movie. They loved it, of course, but the funny thing is that Elijah says he likes the old BBC version better because it is truer to the books. Spoken like a true bookworm!
Other than that we just had a lot of fun spending time with friends and family. So, that was our trip to the mountains. Now I just need to wrap my mind around getting the suitcases completely unpacked and start working on that pile of dishes in the sink...or I can just write a blog, read a book, go to sleep and put it off until tomorrow or all of the above:)

2 comments:

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

so glad you got pics of the winners, mine was blurry and no one understands my description...& also glad you got some chocolate ;) YUM!

canningmama said...

love the pictures! your parent's place is gorgeous! i know exactly what you mean about time with matt going by so fast. that's the way i feel when Aaron is around too. :)