Monday, July 6, 2009

Summer Road Trip Part I- New York



We headed out on June 25th on a 3 week road trip... a glorious benefit of Matt being a teacher and having the summers off. So we have been on this wonderful adventure and have been having the best time. Most of the pictures in this slide show are of our visit to Tonawanda, NY. This is a great little Suburb of Buffalo. My grandparents and all my aunts and uncles live there. My great grandparents came to the US from Germany and built a house in Tonawanda, NY and my grandfather still lives in the same house that he lived in when he was a little boy. His neighborhood is fabulous. It has a fire station, school, grocery store, church all within about a 5 block radius. His house is 2 blocks from the beautiful Niagara Falls River. There is a great running/biking trail that runs along the river all the way up to the Falls.
The first pictures are taken when we woke them up really early in the morning the first day of our trip because we wanted to get an early start on the 12 hour trip. You may be wondering what the picture with the tags is all about. Well, I knew I was going to have to be creative to survive a trip that long with 4 young kids in the car. So I found a great website www.momsminivan.com and I found a lot of fabulous ideas for making a car trip fun for kids. I hung a string from window to window in our Suburban and I hung a ticket for each hour that we were going to be on the road and when each hour passed I took down a ticket and this was a great way to give them a visual of how many hours were left on the trip. Every 2 hours I gave them each a surprise bag with a snack and a little game or activity in it. This really helped the time go quickly and we all ended having a lot of fun on that 12 hour trip.
A lot of the pictures are taken at Niagara Falls. Even though I have been there several times I really wanted to take the kids to see it. I am in complete awe each time I see the falls and I just can't imagine what it must have looked before it was developed. Can you imagine being an explorer and stumbling upon the falls for the very first time? It is absolutely amazing.
We also went to the Erie Canal, which is very fascinating to me. This time we went to the Erie Caves, which I never knew about before this trip and got a great tour of this amazing man-made cave next to the canal.
But the main focus of this trip was to spend time visiting with family. We spent so much time eating together, talking, laughing, looking at old pictures, swimming, and just hanging out. The last time I saw my NY family we just had Elijah, so they got to meet Caleb, Jonas and Ezra. The kids loved meeting their New York family and I know that we created some great memories that will last a lifetime.

2 comments:

Nana said...

Wow! How fun to see the pictures of your adventures. We miss your smiling faces! Hugs!!!

Lacey (schoolhousefarm) said...

They will always remember! I know I'll never forget the way the falls make me feel...