Sunday, September 21, 2008

Constant Companions





These pictures display what my kids are usually busy doing while I am trying to cook dinner or do the dishes. They want to be at my feet getting out every dish and kitchen appliance that they can get their hands on! I often times will find toys in the cabinets when I go to reach for a mixing bowl, pot or pan!

No matter where I go in the house my children are never too far behind. Every now and then I would find myself getting bothered by this constant companionship. I have a very type A personality and I tend to get overly focused on completing a task. The problem with this is that I sometimes end up pushing my children to the background in the name of being productive. I'll get them busy doing some chores or try to get them interested in a toy or an activity so that I can get stuff done...but where is the companionship in all of this, the Deut. 6?
I think it is important for them to see me doing chores around the house and I think they need to do their part to contribute as well. I also think it is good for children to be able to occupy and entertain themselves for short spurts of time. The problem occurs when there isn't a proper balance between work and moments of engagement. If I see that my children are happily engaged in something then I will be tempted to just keep going with my work around the house and before I know it an hour or two might pass. The crazy thing is that there is always something to be done around the house. I could be working on it all day long, but the next day it would be the same and the next and the next. I often think of Ecclesiastes when I think of house work. A lot of times I feel it is all in vain because the minute I do dishes the sink is full again and the minute I fold the last piece of laundry the basket is full. Though it is good and necessary for these things to be done and I obviously understand the purpose behind them, I sometimes wonder can the dishes and the laundry just wait? I am positive they will still be there tomorrow in an even greater quantity...but in the big picture it might be more important for me to just sit down and read a book to Elijah or do a puzzle with Caleb or roll a ball around on the floor with Jonas. Even more than that I should involve them in the preparing and cooking of meals and letting them help me do the dishes or sweep the floor- which I sometimes don't let them do because I have a certain way I like to do things...but it would be so much more beneficial to them if I could just let go of some of my perfectionism and just let them accompany me in these daily tasks. I have come to the conclusion that they are better of by my side rather than being left to themselves. That way I can really live out Deut. 6 and I can teach them God's truth and wisdom as we walk though this life TOGETHER.

3 comments:

canningmama said...

I am with you 150% on this one. I, like you, tend to leave the children alone in the name of trying to get office work and house work done. And I realize that I spend very little quality time with them every day, if any. I try at every opportunity though to have them join me in my tasks of dishes and laundry, cleaning bathrooms, canning, etc. Savannah was putting laundry in the dryer at two and both kids are amazing at cracking eggs and unloading the dishwasher. People think I'm crazy for letting my 3 yr old boy crack a dozen eggs, but every time he does, I have to get out fewer and fewer eggshellpieces. They will help and enjoy it if only you will let them! When I do shove them aside, I find that their attitudes sour and so does mine and we feed off each other's bad attitudes. I read an article just last week off the No Greater Joy website that I believe one of their daughters wrote. I thought one paragraph was so compelling that I copied it just so I could read it several times and this is it:
"So you ask me, 'Do I ever have a day where everything goes wrong and the children will not stop crying?' I sure do. I have found that my children will pick up on my emotional temperament and take the worst of it as their model for the day. All mothers need downtime, a time to relax and unwind. When bad days come, stop disciplining, since it is not working anyway, and just kick back and enjoy that down time with your children. Read a book, the dishes can wait. Put a puzzle together, give the little ones a bath. This always seems to work for me. Do anything to change the pattern of a bad day in the making."
If I abided by that philosophy more and made better time of my times when they are asleep, I would be a happier person and so would they! Oh yeah, this is YOUR blog, I'll stop preaching. Love ya!

Anna Morrison said...

I can relate to all of your thoughts. It is so wonderfully to read it coming from you. I like knowing that I am not alone. You inspire me and I appreciate your openness. You do a great job. Your convictions are growing you daily as you seek to be the best mom you know how to be.

canningmama said...

ok, miss kallie, have you fallen off the face of the earth? I'm trying to be patient but it's not working any more. How are ya, and is there any way to get in touch with you? Did you find your cell phone? Do you have a house phone now?? Do you have email?? I'm ready for a new blog post. :) Love ya and hope you're doing well!!!